Sunday 20 April 2014

"Give it an understanding, but no tongue" Hamlet (1.2.249)

What is silence? Silence is that which is misunderstood the most. Silence is that which is insulted the most. Is silence the absence of words? No! Silence is when my mind speaks the loudest, clearest and fullest.


I am a raging sea of thoughts when I listen to you silently. But you stamp my silence as submission, agreement, compassion, empathy or resentment, revolt, arrogance or sorrow. My silence may mean any of this or none. Perhaps all. But you would never understand my silence as I can never understand yours.

Silence is always best when it is left unarticulated. Tongue is the most unreliable medium to speak the mind. Much is lost in every speech.


Is silence the absence of action? No! So let the minds hum their own music. Let the battle of thoughts begin. Let us respect silence. Let us not belittle it by naming it. Let us not silence silence.


I am sorry for the times I interrupted your silence. I am sorry for the times I insulted your silence. As for the times I misunderstood your silence, I can feel sorry only for myself for there is no way I can truly understand your silence, I can only make speculations.



"Silence is ascetic in the sense that purifies the word, and mystic in the sense that creates communion" - J. K Maurus

No comments:

Post a Comment